Sunday, April 3, 2011

Two Years of Pool Renovations?

I sent the following letter to the mayor of my commune:

March 31, 2011

Jean Demannez
Bourgmestre
Commune de Saint-Josse-ten-Noode

Dear Bourgmestre Demannez,

I write regarding the excessively long closure of the Piscine Saint-François.

An important consideration in my decision to reside in Saint-Josse was proximity to a swimming pool. Before signing my lease, I phoned the commune office and was told that the Piscine Saint-François would reopen at the beginning of 2011.

The Piscine Saint-François website now indicates “Reouverture Fin Mars 2011.” But when I phoned the commune office today, I was informed that it will not reopen until September 2011.

Since the pool was closed throughout 2010, it will have been closed for twenty consecutive months before reopening. I have difficulty imagining what renovations or tests could take that long.

To go swimming, I must now walk half an hour north to the Neptunium in Schaerbeek or take the metro south to the Bains du Centre. Both pools charge higher admission fees because I reside outside of their communes.

Why are Saint-Josse residents being deprived of this public service for nearly two years?

Yours truly,

Erin Weir

2 comments:

  1. Frustrating n'est-ce pas?

    Sounds like public works move at the same rate no matter what country you are in. Hope it's some consolation that the weather must be getting better for the walk to the other pool.

    Hope you are well and please keep us updated on the life of a Canadian in Brussels.

    Omero

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great blog! Gorlin Pools is a New Jersey custom spa and swimming pool remodele and NJ Pool Renovations and builder serving Ocean County, Monmouth County, Mercer County, New Jersey.

    ReplyDelete