Saturday, October 9, 2010

Cheap Suburban Swimming

The Flemish university pool has worked out well for weekday evenings. But since it closes on weekends, I set out today to procure the bathing cap needed to swim in Francophone pools.

I took the subway almost to end of the line to Decathlon, a French sporting-goods store. Sure enough, it was selling fairly comfortable bathing caps for 3 Euros, one-third the price charged by L’Espadon pool.

I then went swimming at CERIA, a vocational college near Decathlon. The admission fee was only 2 Euros, versus the 3+ Euros at other public pools. Whereas L’Espadon and the Flemish pool have both been busy, I had a whole lane to myself at CERIA.

After swimming, I had a pizza at a restaurant near CERIA. I find that ordering one of the options with more toppings leads to something as substantial as North American pizza with the arguably better quality of European pizza. (For western Canadian readers, it is still not as substantial as Vern’s Pizza.)

When the waiter found out that I am Canadian, he mentioned that a Canadian is on “Secret Story” (France’s answer to “Big Brother”) but that her French is pretty strange. I explained that her French sounds strange (to European ears) because she is from Quebec. My French is strange for entirely different reasons.

No comments:

Post a Comment