Sunday, October 3, 2010

Strange Belgian Swimwear

I went to a public pool this afternoon and was quickly reprimanded for wearing swimming trunks. Apparently, the francophone pools require speedos.

I found this rule especially bizarre given that the lifeguard uniform consists of a T-shirt and shorts. When I pointed out that the lifeguard who got on my case for wearing shorts was himself wearing shorts, he assured me that he would remove them and wear only his speedo if he needed to go in the water.

The stated rationale was that trunks are unhygienic because people might not clean them properly before entering the pool. The lifeguards seemed unconvinced when I suggested that people might also fail to clean their speedos.

The only saving grace was that the swimming pool sold permissible swimsuits for a price that was not totally unreasonable. But as soon as I returned in my new “swimming briefs,” a second lifeguard informed me that I had to wear a bathing cap.

I tore a strip off him about why the first lifeguard had not mentioned this equally eccentric requirement. The first lifeguard then came by and lent me a bathing cap.

Anyway, it turns out that this webpage is spot on. Anything goes at the Flemish-run pool at Vrije Universiteit Brussel.

However, the first francophone lifeguard regaled me with stories about how the Flemish pool is full of hair due to the absence of bathing caps. In any case, it is closed on weekends.

Strange dress requirements aside, the francophone pool was a very nice facility and I had a great swim. I was also pleased that my French was good enough to deliver some compelling criticism and mockery of the dress requirements but get back on friendly terms with the lifeguards after doing so.

No comments:

Post a Comment